Friday 3 June 2016

Soylent: Day One, Meal One

I woke up this morning feeling amazing. I had the first good nights sleep in a week, so after a quick shower I meandered into the kitchen to make my tea and see about a veggie omelet for breakfast. This is what greeted me like a mallet to the face.







Right. Soylent. Today is the first day of our new 'eating' plan. Looking at it sitting there, basking in the glow of the morning sun I thought to myself, "This won't be so bad. Think of all of the upsides. Fewer dishes to wash. Saved time. Saved brain power trying to decide on dinner."

Step mixed my jug for me and I poured my first 250 calories.





Doesn't look TOO bad. Kind of like a beige milkshake.

After letting it get cold in the fridge for a while, I took my first sip.

Gritty. Thick. Very strong wheat flavour. It is advertised as a delicious neutral flavor. I call bull. There is nothing neutral about the flavour. It's like drinking a bag of wheat. Pretty unpleasant.

I managed to gulp down the first glass. I think the worse part is the burps it gives you later. And the reliving that amazing wheat flavour.

We also need to blend it more. Here is my glass when I finished.



It's now 12:48 and I last ate at 9:30ish. I'm feeling hungry now. The shake mostly satisfied my hunger until now.

The problem now is, I have to have another one and I really don't want to. I'd rather stay hungry.

That said, I will go get another one. There are suggestions as to how to make the flavour more pleasant- peanut butter, cinnamon... I think I'm going to add some frozen strawberries.

OK. I'm going in. Wish me luck.


*UPDATE: Adding strawberries turned the beige to a delightful pink colour. It did not change the taste one bit. Ugh. Not sure how I'm going to get enough calories into me today.

No comments:

Post a Comment